Sunday, October 5, 2008

New Concepty English for Education of Weekend

My weekly post of creative uses for English in China.

One of the big reasons I wanted to move the family overseas in the first place was that we seemed to be settled into ruts in which we never did activities outside the house. Part of that was because Phoenix is so hot, but I can't use that as my whole excuse. Our lifestyle was just too sedentary, and I didn't know what to do about it. It felt that every day was a race from the time we woke up until we went to bed, and a lot of things that should be happening just were not.

One of the things that became emblematic of that to me was the fact that I had never actually taught my son to ride a bike. I always felt really guilty about it. So two weeks ago, I bought this bicycle for him. He is getting better by the day, although I'm still not willing to take him out on the streets. The bike was still wrapped in packing material when we bought it, so it wasn't until later that we got a chance to read all the Novelity English.



Click for larger images.

Emmelle is the brand name, so that makes sense at least. Beyond that, there are so many questions: Is the bike especially likely to fall down? or are you supposed to FEEL IT? The name could refer to Aeolus, a minor Greek god of wind, but why would someone put that much work into researching a mythical name without proofreading any of the other English? I guess feeling the wind is better than breaking it. "Ripals" are obviously "rivals", but are you competing with them for things to be "novel" as in new? Or perhaps for notoriety?

I'm so confused.

5 comments:

Roddy said...

Don, you just took a giant burden off my shoulders. I didn't teach Ann to ride a bike until she was 16, and I've always felt guilty about it. Still, she turned out reasonably well, this gymnastic gap in her development notwithstanding. Maybe it will be the same for John, and he, too, will become an underpaid librarian.

otto said...

Dude, that bike is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to become a librarian. -John

Anonymous said...

opps I didnt mean to post as my dad.

The Arizona Anachronism said...

thanks matthew.