Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday Miscellany

Weekly random images


The Lion's Grove Garden, a labyrinth of stone paths, tunnels, and bridges.





The Jade Belt Bridge (or Precious Belt Bridge), a stately 9th century Song Dynasty bridge along the Grand Canal that would be a lot more interesting if it were still in the country, rather than within an industrial area. I rode my bicycle out to in on a Saturday morning with H.K., a Korean friend from our LDS branch.




Wildcat dumping along a canal north of Suzhou Industrial Park




Found out by the trashcans in front of our building. The ugliest chair, and I mean ever...

I offered to rescue this chair for our friend Elvina, whose landlord supplied her living room with cheap wicker patio furniture, and doesn't see a problem with that. Citing how uncomfortable the furniture is, Elvina (who is Chinese American and speaks Mandarin) asked for a new couch. The landlord said "there is only one of you, so just stack the cushions". I've been teasing her that she isn't allowed to have friends over or date. Still, she refused my helpful offer, so maybe I'll have to go visit it the chair again in the wildcat dumping area from above.

Dealing with clueless landlords is something that will get its own post sometime, after I collect a few more stories.

1 comment:

Roddy said...

You're right, Don: that chair has neither class nor beauty. But I will say this: I doubt that I will ever forget it. A standout in a world of otherwise similar chairs. I wonder who designed the upholstery? Decided on the Datsun B210-esque frame? Chose the color? Manufactured it? For what intended market? And who, pray tell, shelled out the dough to buy it? Wouldn't it cause a stir, sitting on the gifts table at a wedding reception?