Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Shanghai Museum

More of my ongoing project to post various orphaned photos that didn't get used before. These are from the Shanghai Museum. There are some very good museums in Shanghai, but this one focuses on antiquities. I didn't make any attempt to keep track of when these works were made.


A bronze water bowl with a fun feature: there are sculptures of aquatic creatures molded into the bottom, so they are swimming in the water when full.


A bronze wine vessel. About half of the bronzes in the museum are identified as being wine vessels, which no doubt tells you something. This is a very typical Chinese form, and in fact, the building itself is in a stylized shape of one of these vessels. Sometime later, I'll comb back through all my photos and see if I have an exterior shot.




A huge bronze bell. Unless it is actually an inverted wine vessel.



A stone relief known as the "Thousand Buddha Stele". I quite liked it.

2 comments:

ferskner said...

That water bowl is sweet. I would like one with doggies in it.

colleeeen said...

Ok, I'm going to start referring to all my odd containers as wine vessels, rather than just confess "I saw it at Goodwill and just liked it." That will lend them an air of antiquity and legitimacy.