Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Quest for the Holy Grail




Okay, so I really like Cheerios, and I'm man enough to admit it (at least it isn't Cap'n Crunch). Authentic General Mills Cheerios were one of the last American products that I couldn't find. I love cold cereals generally, excepting the over-sugared ones; they are not just for breakfast. I've had people mock me for that, but I know I'm not totally alone on this one either (Missy C., if you are reading, please give me your vote for the joys of a late night "cereal snack"). I have nothing against generic brands of my other favorites, like raisin bran and miniwheats. For some reason however, the non-Cheerios toasted oat rings never get it right. Elizabeth, we've exchanged emails on this one, so back me up. Of course, this box cost $10, but they aren't cheap back home these days either.

I found the Cheerios in one of the several small "Western" markets that dot the area. This time, I had to go into one of the fancy apartment complexes. This particular place seems almost exclusively populated by wealthier Westerners, so apparently there is class discrimination when it comes to breakfast cereals. The Horizon II Resort Apartments are quite posh, and they have none of the slapdash look that characterizes many of the residential buildings here (no deteriorating plaster, no crusty surfaces, no tacked on air-conditioners, no random wires strung between windows). Actually the place looks almost like an expensive French or Italian neighborhood. The two restaurants I saw looked very exclusive.

Speaking of looking French, I had to laugh to myself when I walked past one of the bars and heard the music from within. Greg C., if you are reading, confirm for me the one single song that we heard over and over and over in France back in the old days? It could only be.... Hotel California!

Back to the Cheerios. At this point, here is my scorecard of American products that were difficult to find:

1. Baking powder and baking soda - found at the Summit Market near Singa Plaza
2. Crisco - so smooth, so white, so creamy.
3. refried beans - too expensive, but we have some coming in our shipping.
4. tortillas - lame, but edible. I will be making my own.
5. proper potato chips -although I haven't actually purchased any yet.
6. vanilla extract - once again, too expensive, but again we have some coming in our shipping.
7. Mozzarella cheese - haven't bought it, but it doesn't look so good. None of the cheeses we have bought have been good.
8. Dr. Pepper - haven't bothered to buy any, but it is strangely comforting to know it is there.

There are a lot of other miscellaneous things that I have been fascinated to see in the western markets, even if I won't be buying them anytime soon. For example, there are graham cracker pie crusts and brownie mix (which we may want some time), and “hot pockets” and marshmallow cream (which we never will).

But in all that, there is one great American product that is conspicuously missing, and maybe you can figure out what it is. I'm going to leave you all in suspense on that one... please give me some comments.....

9 comments:

ferskner said...

Peanut butter????

The Arizona Anachronism said...

Nope, widely available. I should have mentioned it!

Roddy said...

Spam?

The Arizona Anachronism said...

Okay, I need to clarify that it is a product I actually WANT to buy! Spam is here. Considering its probable shelf-life, it may still be WWII surplus.

colleeeen said...

velveeta? said with a wink.

The Arizona Anachronism said...

Once again, I haven't looked for it. They do have crappy sliced "American Cheese". Does that count?

Emma said...

I totally agree about the cheerios! They're awesome! (but these ones are a bit stale, as if they bought them in the US and shipped them all the way over here)

otto said...

Twinkies.

I don't give me the phony line about how you don't want to eat them. I know you better than that.

The Arizona Anachronism said...

I haven't noticed any Twinkies, so let's assume they are not here. I don't like them, but it is just a matter of taste, not snack elitism. I sure do enjoy a good Zinger. Haven't seen those either.